Monday, March 28, 2011

I was not expecting THAT over the weekend.

Big news in the Powell household... Mary has been using the potty!  Saturday morning she announced that she had to go potty and went, several times.  Earlier last week we finally caught the after bath potty that usually ends up an accident on the floor.  She was up on the bed getting pj's on and she got real still and told me "potty!".  We ran.  We got it.  And we tried to make as big a deal of it as we could, dancing, shouting, hip-hooraying. 

I think she is finally realizing when she has to go.  I haven't been brave enough to really go all out for it and put her in underwear but she did tell me she had to go one time today with a diaper on.  (funny how with Corrie it was all exciting and we couldn't wait to start the whole process and now with Mary I just think of the amount of work and effort it takes and... it makes me tired :)  "I hav go potty!".  And "der it goes" she says on the potty with a huge grin... 

Which brings me to the next point... I love watching them grow up and grow together.  Mary is living up to her middle name.  She is so much fun. (Her middle name is not Fun but you know what I mean :)  She loves coloring (mostly just the crayons), drawing (ask her to draw a snowman with eyes and nose and a mouth), singing and being with her big sis these days.  And Corrie is such a helper, loves to help, wants to help, is so happy to help...  This morning she wanted to 'help' me brush my teeth.  And she's really into cute little animals like kittens or puppies or    snails?  This was a conversation I had with her in the tub recently that I tried to write down before I forgot.

(corrie) "I bet if you hadn't fallen in love with dad, lots of people would fall in love with him. 

Except giants. 

He's so pretty... even more than kittens!"

(me) "He's handsome, isn't he?" 
(corrie) "Yes, very handsome."


I was struck today (a good reminder) how my girls are truly gifts by God.  The way they came, who they are, what they are teaching me and how they are changing us... is truly amazing and it makes me stop and savor moments like tonight- laughing with Corrie, marveling at the way she thinks, celebrating with Mary each time she goes potty, reading to her before bed... and the thought of a fresh new day waiting for us tomorrow.  What will we do tomorrow?  :)  

These silky pj's were a special gift from Grandma Peterson.  Thank you Grandma!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Carrie and Brian, for being such wonderful parents and raising these special girls to love God! All 4 of you are such blessings God has given us and we thank Him for that!!! Love-Mom and Dad Peterson