In the first 4 days we've already made a dent in the scraps I collected. Still waiting on a delivery of real firewood...
Step 3 was the installation. Didn't get any of that...
Step 4 was cleaning out the ash dump of the fireplace -- probably 30 years of ashes from basement to 1st floor in this vertical dump that had a big cavity at the bottom. The blower fans need electricity so I dropped an extension cord down the dump to get to the basement outlet. I've probably cleaned out 40 gallons of ash by now, judging by the number of 5 gallon buckets and trashbags. Even a couple bricks and chunk of concrete came down! And a stick. Was starting to wonder if I'd find any bones :o
Step 5: keep the fire going and enjoy :)
One of the snags was that the 'pro' came out twice didn't tell us the model we ended up with wouldn't fill the height of our opening :( so it's propped up on bricks. Probably should've gone with the bigger model. Better fit, better heat. But we'll get a custom piece made, painted black, to hide that part. Still need to remove the white paint from the rest of the bricks..
No comments:
Post a Comment