Friday, January 16, 2009

harness, ultrasounds and Dr. Caltoum


Well, we went for the second time down to Riley to check on Mary's hips. Our first visit things didn't seem very promising... from what we understood both hips were bad but specifically Mary's left hip was completely dislocated and out of the socket. Dr. Caltoum (see above picture) put her in yet another harness and wanted to see her in a week to check if the hip was in the socket. If not, she talked about a cast or possibly even surgery... it was a long drive home.

Yesterday she had an ultrasound with the harness on and thankfully both hips were looking better. So, it's six weeks with the harness on and we go back for another ultrasound. Hopefully the harness can come off after that... Thank you to everyone who has been praying. And another big thank you to my mom who came down and started modifying some of Mary's clothes so she can wear them with the harness on (a passion I didn't know she had, smile). thank you too to our friend Katie who watched Corrie yesterday while we went to Indy.

Every time we round the corner and and see our home I am amazed at the changes we have been through in our short time as a family but always I feel blessed to have the things we have... or rather "hold the things we hold". Mom Powell, you were right. Corrie did seem to grow up over night and Mary is already such an important part of us. Lately, we have been finding old friends from the summer project where Brian and I met. I'm so glad we both went ...and found each other.

2 comments:

Dan said...

good news all around :)

btw, watching corrie on your blog with baby mary has been such a teaching tool for sophie. she is now totally aware that a tiny little baby (like mary) is going to come home and live with us someday soon. in her words, "corrie's baby sister"...(thought process)..."sophie's baby brother."

smile.

Steve and Betsy Powell said...

Awe!! Are you TRYING to make me cry?! lol...I'm so happy for you guys and so thankful Mary's hips are getting better! I will be praying for an even better report on your next trip. Love you! We miss you....