Thursday, December 06, 2007

Woodchucks

So I taught a 'Study Skills' class for ESLI level 1 students this semester (similar to the UC175 class for WKU freshmen), and it was a blast. Today was our final quiz, and I had a 'freebie' question at the end. It was an inside joke, of sorts, because they would always come to class saying this question...and laughing. I guess they learned about it in their idiom class or something. "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

At first they all laughed when I read it to them. Then an awkward pause: "Are you serious" and "How do we know?", etc. Finally they understood the concept of a freebie question and began to write their answers. I thought I'd list them here. Who knows, maybe the truth lies in one of these guesses :)

"5"
"5 or 4"
"Two or three. I think."
"Too much woods."
"4 times" (The number of times 'wood' appears in the sentence, he said. Clever.)
"Many woods"
"Just one."
"7 wood"
"Many wood"
"A big wood"
"4"
"I don't know."


No comments: